Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The World I Want for My Children

Peaceful



Free



Safe



Equal



Healthy



True.



I want a world where my children are not wrong.*






“The world I want for my children” is an effort to support The Joyful Heart Foundation, which was founded by Law & Order: SVU actress Mariska Hargitay to help victims of sexual assault mend their minds, bodies and spirits and reclaim their lives. Today, the foundation is at the forefront of an effort to end a disheartening backlog of tens of thousands of rape kits in labs across the country, a backlog that contributes to a rapist’s 80 percent chance of getting away with his crime. The backlog and its detrimental effects will be the topic of an SVU episode on September 29th.





*See June Jordan's "Poem About My Rights"

4 comments:

countryfriedmama said...

Wow. I wasn't familiar with June Jordan before I clicked on your link. So powerful.

"I want a world where my children are not wrong." Amen, sister. Thank you so much for supporting JHF's mission with your words.

Justine said...

I studied June Jordan when I was in school but never came across this poem. It reduced me to tears. How empowering. And how right she is.

Thank you for this. Thank you.

(I'm here from Country Fried Mama's blog carnival. Glad to have stumbled onto your blog!).

The Steel Magnolia said...

CFM: I watched the SVU episode last night and felt so proud to be connected in even a teeny-tiny way. Thank you so much for the opportunity!

Justine: You are so welcome! I'm happy to even be the middle (wo)man for Jordan. She's awesome!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. And such a beautiful cause.