Other realizations during the gigantic grading marathon:
- There are many, many, many ways to express the EXACT same idea.
- Premium ice cream heals all wounds.
- I need time away from my family sometimes, but it only takes a second for me to really miss them.
- Wuthering Heights is not the go-to text after you've just read about 4 million very questionably written student essays.
- Sitting around with your girlfriend, doing basically nothing, is lots of fun when you are (practically) middle-aged.
- You might want to mentally devise an escape plan for when your cab driver takes some unknown residential route and you think he may be taking you to his own house where he will abduct and disembowel you. Just in case. It helps to crazy paranoid and have a friend join in.
- People who teach English and English-related fields come in two camps: neat, buttoned-up, bookish types or bohemian, artsy, colorful rebel types. It's generally immediately clear which camp someone belongs in. Except for The Diva and me--we're a little of both. :)