Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Dirty Little (TV) Secret

I don't watch reality shows except for the occasional season of American Idol. And a show or two on TLC, which aren't really reality shows--they're life unscripted. I don't watch them because I believe television and film are the domain of writers and actors and reality shows eliminate a significant need for them. I believe I read recently on Yahoo that acting is one of the top 20 jobs in decline this year. Give me Cashmere Mafia over reality tv any day.

That said, I do not understand my fascination with Tori and Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood. Why am I enthralled by this show? I didn't hate Tori Spelling when I used to (religiously) watch Beverly Hills, 90210, but she was my least favorite main character (although I did like that she played a virgin for most of the series). If I had to guess, I would not have thought that I would care about her life. But there is just something about her show, something I cannot explain. It started with Tori and Dean: Inn Love. I couldn't get enough of her preparation for and running of a bed and breakfast. When she and the show moved to Hollywood, I knew I wouldn't watch anymore because I don't care about the day-to-day lives of the rich and famous. But I do care! At least enough to watch. Maybe it's because her relationship with her mom is mad fascinating and her interactions with her husband are certainly interesting. Perhaps it's because I find that she does pretty much the same things I do: I recently went looking for a house; I was pregnant (for awhile, but that's another post); I hope to have a book tour. It's not that I'm surprised that she's a real person. I'm surprised that I care.

I guess now the question is, since I like to read, will I be buying Stori Telling? (That title is just so clever!)

I need help.

2 comments:

The Steel Magnolia said...

Oh my gosh, me too! All of that! I don't know what it is, but I keep watching. I'm even watching the same episodes over and over. And I don't really even like Tori Spelling much. Maybe it's because she seems so vulnerable. Which is interesting because I usually tink rich people are obnoxious. And I do want to read the book. What in the world! I should be reading actually literature, like the 5 books I had planned to read this summer--I'm about 50 pages into the first one.
Oh, and I love the title, too.
Let's start a support group.

The Diva said...

I'm glad to know that I am not alone. I think it is that vulnerability quality. But still, sign me up for the support group.