Monday, February 23, 2009

You Look Mahvelous!


Last night's Academy Awards was an occasion for Hollywood to don it's most beautiful looks and for fans and fashion pundits to pontificate about them. (Oh, and to honor talent and hard work.) I don't want to add to the fodder of talking negatively about people's clothing (although I question Alicia Keys' make-up choice); instead, I wanted to give a shout-out to Taraji P. Henson. I think she's pretty fantastic and she looked gorgeous last night. She may not have won in the category of Best Supporting Actress (for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), but I am glad she was nominated.

I first paid attention to her in that forgettable movie, Baby Boy and I have liked her ever since. I especially loved her in Hustle & Flow (even if she was overly sweaty in this movie like people in the South are perpetually hot and have no access to air conditioners). I didn't see Benjamin Button because DH refused to see it, but if Henson was nominated for her role in it, I can only assume that she is superb in it.

I'm glad to see Black women being given roles that are not typical (maids, angry wives/girlfriends, hookers, etc.) and I'm glad to see them being recognized for the work they do. I am especially glad to see Henson being recognized which just proves that I was right all along.

3 comments:

The Steel Magnolia said...

Well, I didn't watch any of the Academy Awards, but I agree that Henson looks nice in the pictures. I scoffed at her nomination, but when I think about it now, she's actually a pretty good actress. I liked her in "The Division" (on Lifetime) and gained some respect for her then. I'm glad she didn't get caught in that other trap that so many black actresses do--social worker, best friend to the white main character, etc.
And what is up with the sweaty people in the South thing? We should go to Hollywood and let folk know that Southern women don't sweat; we glow!

Anonymous said...

I actually saw the movie and she was excellent! I would say she got robbed, but I didn't see Cruz's performance so oh well...

The Diva said...

I didn't see Cruz's performance either, but considering the history of the Oscars, Henson may very well have been robbed. I am still salty over Angela Bassett's loss for What's Love Got to Do with It in favor of Holly Hunter in The Piano. She didn't even talk in that movie!