Monday, January 25, 2010

A Wonderful Weekend



SM, I'm glad your day is getting better. And of course you're not a loser!


My day began fine; I just have the daunting challenge of getting out of the house on time so that I can make it to class on time. I have not made it to my first class on time at all this semester. I think I need to wake up at 6 instead of 7 until I completely stop nursing (which will be soon, but I'll discuss that in another post). Anyway, despite my few minutes of lateness, class went well.


I had a wonderful albeit busy weekend. Last week The Popcorn turned 1! Even before I had a child, I always said giving a one-year-old a party was more about the parents and not the child and so I would have a grown-up party if anything and maybe give myself a gift. Well, this weekend I held true to that--somewhat.


I initially had planned to just have dinner with the three of us and maybe take some pictures, but then I thought about how hard this first year was and how blessed we were to have The Popcorn here, in life and at home, with us, and decided we should celebrate in a bigger way. So, we had a family dinner. I invited DH's immediate family, my immediate family and my sister-in-law's parents. I'm really grateful to them because they all had to travel at least an hour (and more) to get to our house. And they brought her gifts which for some reason, I wasn't actually expecting. (I guess I have been out of the birthday party game for too long.)


The theme of the dinner was Celebrate the Colors of Life! I decorated the dinner table in red, green, blue and purple. I made a centerpiece that was too small, but as it consisted of candy, it was delicious! I also used my good china which in so many years of marriage, I have only used once before. Everyone said my table was so pretty. Also, in keeping with the theme, DH wore a bright blue shirt, I wore a yellow shirt and I dressed The Popcorn in a multi-colored outfit.

For dinner we served the foods that The Popcorn is eating now, in a more flavorful adult version: sweet potatoes, green beans, and carrots. We also had cornbread, rosemary chicken and KFC (because I didn't cook enough rosemary chicken). I was going to buy a cake, but my mom acted like that was scandalous, so I made cupcakes.


All in all, it was a wonderful weekend and it was good to see family. The Popcorn got to hang with both of her grandmothers who love to shop for her and DH and I got to reflect on how happy we are to have our little baby with us.

1 comment:

The Steel Magnolia said...

Yay for a serious celebration of birth! And congrats on getting DH to wear a bright blue shirt--I know he likes his neutral colors. Clearly, The Popcorn has him working in her favor like a daddy should. :)
Love the food idea, too.

Happy, happy birthday to The Little Diva!